A selection of items relating to Wensleydale. I have not included any from Redmire, as many of these are posted on Dave Stringer-Calvert's website.

19 Jul 1729 Daily Journal
"We have an Account from Midlam in Yorkfhire that the Thunder and Lightning that happened there on Tuefday laft, has done confiderable Damage; Several Perfons were ftruck blind with the Lightning, among whom, Solomon Debdale, a Wheelwright, a young Man of about 25 Years of Age, who is fo afflicted with his Misfortune, that 'tis fear'd he will go diftracted.

18 May 1748 Morning Advertiser
They write from Middleham in Yorkfhire, that an Ox belonging to Bryan BURREL and Matthew HUMPHRY, bred by Simon SCOOP of Danby, Efq; will be killed at Middleham on Saturday next, the four Quarters of which Ox are fuppofed to weigh 140 Stone.

1757 06 December. London Evening Post; Issue 4694

Extract of  Letter from Richmond in Yorkshire, Dec. 4
“Yesterday, being the Market-Day, a Number of Rioters, to the Amount of near an hundred, Masons, Knitters, and labouring Men, from Askrig, Bolton, and Redmar, and other Parts of Wenslydale, with some few from Swaledale, came into the Town, early in the Morning, forcibly rung the Corn-Bell, and their Ringleader proclaimed the Price of Corn, viz. Wheat Four Shillings per Bushel, Masseline Three Shillings and Sixpence, Oats one Shilling and Sixpence; which done, they seized the Sacks of the Farmers, and insisted upon having the Corn at the Price by them set, some of them paying, and others taking it without paying any Thing. Others of the Rioters et the Price on Oatmeal, Potatoes, &c. Some of the Town’s People were as industrious as the Rioters themselves, in buying at the Price so set. The M------- stood affrighted at his own Shop-Door, without endeavouring to put a Stop to their Proceedings, during all this Disturbance, until a neighbouring Gentleman of Fortune went, and insisted upon his reading the Proclamation; and then the Gentleman himself seized upon the Ringleader, and bout ten others, and had them immediately committed to Gaol, where they now remain.
P.S. The Rioters seem not the only People who deserve to be represented to the Publick”


15 Apr 1758
On Wednefday the 5th inftant was married at Middleham in Yorkfhire, Capt. John Atkinfon, who diftinguifh'd himfelf for his undaunted Bravery at the late Siege of Minorca, to Mifs Warnfon; an agreeable young Lady with every Qualification to make the Marriage State happy, and a fortune of 10000l.

May 2 1758
Yefterday Robert COLE, one of the Rioters convicted laft Affizes of obftructing the Execution of th eMilitia Act in this County and george Berry, one of the Wenfleydale Rioters about Corn, were hanged at Tyburn purfuant to their Sentence; the former being for High Treafon, was drawn and quartered.

18 Apr 1769
We hear from Eaft Witton, near Middleham in Yorkfhire, that one Thomas RUMBOLD of that Place having the Misfortune to lofe his Wife on the Friday, after being married to her 40 years, went and ordered her Grave; then went to the Parfon, and gave in his Name with a Woman who had been his Affiftant for fome Time, for Publication; and accordingly the Banns were publifhed on Sunday Morning, and the Wife was buried in the Afternoon.

Aug 24 1770
A few days ago, William BEAPER, of Bainbridge in Wensleydale in this County, in the 91ft Year of his Age, ran fix Miles, on Bainbridge heath, in 46 minutes, for a fcall wager; he was allowed an Hour to do it in. It is remarkable his Diet has moftly been Milk and Whey.

30 Jan 1771 Gazetteer and New Daily Advertiser
At Wensley near Middleham in Yorkshire, Mr James WILSON aged 87 yrs who had been father and grandfather to 65 children and was carried to his grave by six of his grandchildren

27 Mar 1772
Laft Friday came on to be tried at the Caftle before Sir Henry Gould, Knt, and Special juries, two Indictments, removed by Certioruri from the North Riding Seffions into the Court of King’s Bench, one againft mr. Wm I'ANFON and others, for a Riot, and for pulling up a Floodgate and Frame, and filling 210 Yards of a Mill-Race, at Raygill, in the Parifh of Grinton, belonging to Thomas SMITH, Efq; the other againft Mr. John METCALF, and others, for a Riot, and for pulling up a Wear at Raygill aforefaid, alfo belonging to Mr. Smith; when, after two long Trials, the juries, without going out fo Court, found them guilty thereof, and they are to receive Judgment the firft Day of next Eafter Term in the Court of King’s Bench.

Jul 30 1774
Prifoners in the Gaol at Richmond in the County of York
John JACKFON formerly of Carperby, late of Castle Bolton in the County of York, Yeoman
Francis IBBETFON late of Middleham in the County of York, carrier

28 Jun 1777
We hear from Middleham in Yorkfhire, that as Mr. John STOREY of Bellerby was croffing the river there, both he and his horfe were drove down as low as Spennythorn, and taken up drowned.

Feb 1 1779
On the 12th inft a melancholy accident happened near Hawes in Wenfleydale. A tinker and his family, confifting of his wife, five children, and his beorther in law, attempted to pafs Cam Fell, when, owing to intenfe cold and heavy rain, the two eldeft children (one 14 the other 10 years old) perifhed; and but for timely affiftance it is probable the whole family would have been loft through want and fatigue, as their fate, when they reached Hawes, was deemed hopelefs

Dec 21 1780
Afmart fhock of an earthquake was felt at Leyburn, near Richmond in the county of York, and in the neighbourhood adjoining, on Saturday the 9th inft. At half paft four o’clock in the afternoon. The generality of people felt themfelves as though ftrongly lifted up by the wavelike motion of the earth, and prefently fet down again; and at the fame time heard a poife over their heads, as if fome heavy weight had fallen’ whilft thofe in the chamber were frighted, and apprehended the like accident had happened below. Some compared the rumbling with a kind of rufhing noife to thunder at a diftance, others to a carriage or wagon paffing by, and fhaking their howfes to the very foundation, with a fort of crakling in the joints of the timber, widow frames, &c. I feveral houfes things not firmly fupported were thrown down; and at the village of Redmire a barrel of gin was thrown off a fhelf, and moft of the liquor fpilt upon the floor. The motion feemed to be from Wft to Eaft, and continued fix or eight feconds of time. The atmofpheere was very dark and gloomy for feveral days before, but remarkably calm for the time of the year; the mercury in the barometer flood for feveral days at the uncommon height of 30,6 inches.

1 Oct 1810
Married...Lately, Mr. Thomas WRAY, blacksmith, to Miss Susannah HODGSON, both of Wensleydale, in this county. The bridegroom has had the banns published with eighteen different females, and been twice married; this last marriage, howevr, was by licence. He has for some time past gone on crutches, but was so elated with joy on this happy occasion, as to be able to lead his bride to the hymeneal altar with the assistance only of a walking stick.

29 Mar 1814
John JAMES of West Witton, in the North Riding, was charge with the wilful murder of William RIDLEY of Middleham, sheriff's officer on the 24th of November by stabbing him in the neck with a knife. William JAMES brother to the above, was charged with aiding and abetting the said murder. The evidence against the latter, however, only proved the use of expressions, which imported, that he had an ill-will to the deceased, and was not sorry for his death; and his Lordship observed, that whatever unfavourable impressions they might give the jury as to the obduracy and hardness of his heart, they did not amount to a participation in the murder; and directed the jury to acquit him. with this statement we shall dismiss the case of William JAMES, and only state the evidence as it applies in the case of John JAMES.
Thomas SERJEANTSON was the first witness examined; but as the facts he spoke to were detailed by Willaim Ingerthorpe MORGAN, with some additional circumstances, we shall, to avoid unnecessary repetition, begin with the evidence;- He stated that in consequence of an application from the deceased, who was a sheriff's officer and an auctioneer, he went with him to seize some hay and corn belonging to the prisoner; for this purpose; they then went to a field belonging to the prisoner, in which the stack of hay was, which was sold by the deceased; they then went out of the prisoner's field to the barn of Mr. KING, to which the corn of the prisoner had been removed. Witness went into King's field the first, and was followed by the deceased, who was removing a bar to give them an entrance, when the prisoner rushing from behind him, struck him on the neck with his fist; he placed his left hand on Ridley's shoulder, and struck him with the right; he repeated the blow. Witness then saw that he had a knife in his hand; blood immediately gushed from the wound; the first stab was immediately under the ear, the second about the collar of the coat - Witness took hold of the deceased with one hand, and seized the prisoner John James with the other, but the deceased fell to the ground, and almost instantly expired. The wounds were inflicted with a pocket knife; witness called it a jack-a-leg knife. Prisoner said he would not hurt any other person that was there; he was satisfied "I have done what I wished to do; it was my intention, and I am satisfied. " William James then came up, and inquired if he was dead; being assured that he was, he laughed; on being reproved for his shocking levity, he replied, he was glad of it, and he would rather have helped than have hindered. A car was then procured to take the body home. Witness took the prisoner. The next time the witness saw the prisoner was at Mr. CHAYTER's, the magistrate, at Leyburn; but being too late for an examination, he sat up with the prisoner all the night. In the course of the conversation, witness asked the prisoner if he did not relent at what he had done, the prisoner replied, "No, I have done what I wished to do; my intention was to kill him." he further said that he had malice against him ever since he distrained his goods, and that his intention was not to lame, but to murder him, and be hanged for it; and that he afterwards said, that he knew if he struck at Ridley, being a King''s officer, he should be imprisoned for life, and that he had rather be hanged, than suffer that imprisonment. An attempt was made to prove the identity of the knife, but his Lordship did not think it material to produce; the witness, however, held it in his hand in the view of the jury. It was a pointed clasp knife, the blade about four inches in length.
Mr. George EDMONSON is a surgeon at Middleham; he examined the body of the deceased on the 26th Nov, he found two wounds on the right side of the neck; the upper wound had divided the lobe of the ear, and penetrated into the articulation of the jaw, the other wound was two inches lower, in a line with the angle of the jaw, and was from five to six inches in depth; it had divided the carrotid artery and the large nerve which runs down to the lungs and heart; this second wound must have necessarily occasioned immediate death.
The prisoner being called upon for his defence, said, "I told William Ridley that I would protect my property with my life."
Mr. RAINE, who was counsel for the prisoner, called a number of witnesses, the object of which was to prove that no rent was due to the landlord Mr. Chayter of Leyburn, and that of course the distress was wrongfully made; and this point seemed to be made out in evidence.
Mr. Justice CHAMBRE said the evidence against William James did not appear to him sufficient to implicate him as a principal in the second degree, aiding and abetting in the murder. The jury after confering together for about a minute, found John James guilty, and acquitted William James.
The prisoner, when he was asked what he had to say why sentence of death should not pass upon him replied, "I give myself up to the laws of my King and country, though I have had no law shewn to me."
Mr. Justice Chambre, in an impressive address, in which he dwelt on the deep-rooted malignity manifested by the prisoner against the deceased, passed upon him the awful sentence of death.

5 Feb 1817
Notice is hereby Given, that William LISTER of Hawes in the Parish of Aisgarth and County of York, Innkeeper, hath conveyed and assigned all his Effects to Mr. Oswald ALLEN of Scarrhead, and Mr. Edward ALLEN, of Widdale Foot, both in the said Parish, and County aforesaid, for the equal benefit of his Creditors...........

8 Mar 1817
Whereas a commission of bankrupt is awarded and issued forth against Robert DAVIS of Low Foss, in the Parish of Aisgarth, in the North Riding of the County of York, Dealer and Chapman, and he being declared a Bankrupt, is hereby required to surrender himself to the Commission named, or the major part of them, on the Twentieth Day of March Instant, at Three of the Clock in the Afternoon............

31 May 1817
Lately at Thornton Rust, Wensleydale, near Askrigg, Mrs. Jane ROBINSON at the advanced age of 105.

1 Aug 1817
At Aisgarth, Wensleydale, after being intimately connected for 46 years, W. Robinson, tinker, aged 76, to Bridget Kelly, aged 80.

Aug 24 1822
On Sunday evening last, an iterment took place at East Witton churchyard near Middleham of two men who unfortunately lost their lives in a coal pit a few miles from East Witton by fire damp. There were other three men at work in the pit with them, but their lives were preserved. It is very seldom that any loss of lives happens in the coal pits in that neighbourhood. After the coroner’s inquest, when the bodies were removed for interment, they were followed to their graves by upwards of 300 people on foot, and about 40 on horseback. The same coroner had other two inquests to hold the same day in the vicinity of that place.

2nd July 1837.
Extraordinary Journey. – A few days ago, James DINSDALE,He was  James Dinsdale born Nappa Scar,  app 1762, married twice first Ann Caygill, 2nd Hannah Copeland,  he died in 1847,  He was a blacksmith, by trade but his son James, who lived at Elm Hill Askrigg, was a grocer/provin merchant. of Askern (sic), in Wensleydale, travelled from the former place to Bishop Thornton, a distance of 41 miles, with a horse and cart, in 14 hours, conveying 80 stone of cheese and 10 stone of bacon. The age of the horse is 35 years, and that of the man 76, who had very recently recovered from a sever attack of the influenza. – Doncaster Chronicle.

Sat, 10 Nov 1838. Leeds Mercury
Tuesday at the Parish Church, Bolton, Mr. Bennett, saddler, Halifax, to Miss BLAKEY of the same place, eldest daughter of Mr. J. R. BLAKEY, Thornton Rust, Wensleydale.

Sat. 2 Mar 1839. Leeds Mercury
Wednesday at the Friend's Meeting-house, Counterside, Hawes, John THISTLETHWAITE, of Sommerdale House, Hawes, to Elizabeth, relict of Thomas ROUTH, late of Hawes.

24 Mar 1839
Died - On the 9th inst., at Grove-house, Bishopdale, Yorkshire, after a protracted illness, James HESELTINE Esq., a member of the Society of Friends.

Sat Dec 23 1843 Northern Star and Leeds Gen Advertiser
John BLAKEY 52 was indicted for having feloniously stolen from the dwelling house of Richard BLAKEY of Wood End Lodge in the parish of Aysgarth in the North Riding, a quantity of silver plate, title deeds, wearing apparel and other articles.
Mr BLISS and Mr TOPHAM were counsel for the prosecution ; the prisoner was undefended.
The prosecutor resides with his brother at Aysgarth, the prisoner is nephew to them. During the absence of the prosecutor and his brother on the 16th of July at a funeral, the prisoner entered the house and carried off the property named in the indictment. The prisoner pleaded not guilty, but said he took the things which were his own. Several witnesses were examined, but the case seemed to turn upon the state of the man’s mind. The case was proceeding when our report was sent off.
………… Thomas BLAKEY one of the prosecutors was examined at considerable length on the matter, contained in this defence, which he said was a tissue of falsehoods from beginning to end. He stated that he considered the prisoner to be perfectly sane and that he was a very shrewd man.

His Lordship having summed up, the Jury found the prisoner guilty, and he was sentenced to be transported for ten years, upon which he said, “Will they behave worse to me there than they have done here think you?”

17 Jul 1847
William BELL (46) charged with having on the 24th of May last, at Askrigg, in the North Riding, cut and wounded George BELL, his father, by striking him over the face with a shovel, with intent to do him some grievous bodily harm, was found guilty of a common assault, to be imprisoned and kept to hard labour for fifteen calendar months.

Oct 21 1853
October 18th at Richmond by the Rev. L. Otley, MA, Mr. Thomas THOMPSON of Carperby to Rachel, youngest daughter of the late Mr Ralph MILLER of Richmond, grocer

10 Nov 1858
Some few years ago, a bee's nest was discovered in the trunk of an old tree, on the farm of Mr. Simon HUNTER, of Appersett, Yorkshire. This trunk was subsequently removed to Mr. HUNTER's garden, where it remained till last week, when the bees were destroyed; and on cutting the trunk, an enormous quantity of honey, estimated to weigh nearly eight stones was taken from it. Richmond and Ripon Chronicle

Jun 7 1859 at Kirkby Stephen by the Rev. L.H de Fontaine, Charles ORTONEsq of Carperby, Wensleydale, Yorkshire, to Sarah, third daugher of James CLOSE Esq of Smardale Hall near Kirkby Stephen.

Sep 16th at St. Mary’s church Newton Moor, by the Rev G.N.Bower, John Alexander Hunt of th District Bank, Hyde, to Alice, eldest daughter of Ralph STOREY of Carperby, Bedale

Nov 6 1863
An inquest was held on Monday at the Black Swan Inn, Leyburn before Mr. J.S. Walton deputy coroner, on view of the body of a child which was found in a decomposed state with a cord twisted tightly round its neck, hidden in the ceiling of a room of the Black Swan. The body was found by the landlord, Mr. Whitell, who got through a small aperture in the ceiling to stop the rain from coming through the roof. On opening the fabric in which the body was wrapped, it was observed to be the body of a child; but the medical evidence at the inquest stated that the sex, owing to the decomposition, could not be told, neither would the surgeio venture any opinion as to how long the body had laid there, which must have been several months at least. The room in which the opening to the ceiling was had been sometimes slept in by the servants, or whom three or four different ones had been engaged. The landlored said they had never had any reason to suspect any of them. As there was no evidence to indicate whose the child was, or how or when it was placed in the ceiling, an open verdict was returned. The surgeon stated the body was that of a full grown child, and from the fact or a cord being tied round its neck, there can remain little doubt that it came to its end by foul means.

Mar 23 1866
Ellen PARK (21) was indicted for the manslaughter of Christopher PARK at Leyburn. Mr Forbes prosecuted. On the 13th of March last the prisoner and her child aged three years, were inmates of the Leyburn Union Workhouse. The child was rather weak, being neither able to walk nor talk, and was very uncleanly. The prisoner had threatened to take its life and on the day in question whilst she was washing it, she suddenly throw it into a chair with such violence as to fracture its thigh from which injury it shortly afterwards died. The prisoner asserted that she was innocent of her child’s death and that her only intention was to punish the deceased for its dirty havits; but the jury found her guilty and his Lordship sentenced her to four months’ imprisonment. ( buried 16/3/1866 at Wensley by coroner's order)

17 Sep 1868
Opening of a church at Leyburn
The consecration of a church is at all times an event of more than passing interest, even in populous cities; for in these days places of worship are never built save when and where there is an urgent need for them, and then only when sufficient funds are forthcomong to justify their erection; but when such a ceremony takes place in a town such as Leyburn, that lies in a hill country and is not over easy of access, and that hitherto, to take the authority of one of the best of Yorkshire guide books, has been able to boast neither of church or other building that is worth seeing, it assumes an importance and even a solemnity that people more accustomed to such things rarely attach to it. Leyburn opened yesterday its first church, and its shopkeepers put up their shutters, and along with the inhabitants of the district, went to morning service in the new edifice, and the whole town for some hours looked very much as if the day was one of sanctity and thanksgiving as doubtless it was to many. ............For some years the members of the Church of England in Leyburn have worshipped in a small building that was so constructed that, in the event of a more suitable erection being provided for them, it could easily be transformed into dwelling houses. The town is in the parish of Wensley and is situated on the brow of a hill from which a pleasing glimpse of the richly-beautiful valley of Wensleydale can be obtained. The Hon. and Rev. T.O. POWLETT is rector of Wensley and his curate (the Rev. Geo DAY) has charge of the congregation at Leyburn. .........The site for the building has been presented in the joint name of LORD BOLTON and his son, the Hon W.T. ORDE POWLETT; his Lordship has also contributed £1,250 towards the building fund; his lordship's brother, the Hon and Rev. T.O. POWLETT, has given £300, Mr. H.T. ROBINSON has given £200, and by means of smaller subscriptions the entire cost (£2,900) with the exception of about £300, which yesterday's offertories did much to reduce, has been met. In additon to this, the necessary furniture of the church is the gift of the richer members of the congregation. The church is dedicated in the name of St. Matthew, and has been built from the designs of Mr. C.G. WRAY, London in the decorated Gothic style of the period of Edward III. The contractor was Mr. JONES of Leyburn, and the honorary secretary of the building committee, Mr. G.W. Wray acted also in the capacity of clerk of the works.............
In the afternoon, an excellent luncheon was served in the Town Hall by Mr. SIMPSON of the Bolton Arms.

Sep 20 1870 Lloyds weekly newspaper, London
At St. Stephen’s church, Avenue Road Mr. H. Blackmore of 7 Victoria Road to Maggie, youngest daughter of the late Mr. J. CLOSE of West Witton, Yorkshire.

Sep 17 1873. Fatal accident at Penhill Mines.
On Monday afternoon, James HARRISON, 24 years of age, was killed at these slate quarries near West Witton. Deceased was employed underground in getting slates for flooring, and was tapping or testing the roof, when the debris from above came suddenly  down, and killed him instantaneously. Deceased leaves a widow and child.

4 Sep 1874 Hull Packet
Aug 29 at Brigg, Francis Christopher Birkbeck TERRY M.A. Cantab, of Cardiff and Thornton Rust, Yorkshire, to Lucy Caroline, fourth daughter of Mr. J.B. Moxon. M.R.C.S

Feb 1 1873
At Leyburn Petty Sessions. On Friday, ..James IVESON of Gale near Hawes, was charged by Inspector Smith with being the owner of certain meat found in his possession for the purpose of sale, and intended for the food of man, the same meat being diseased and unwholesome. Inspector Smith found at defendant’’s house a fore quarter of meat on the table and a hind quarter hung up and covered with a cloth. He asked the defendant where the other parts of the beef were and he brought another quarter and the head out of the back kitchen. The plaintiff told him he should seize it as being unfit for human food, when Iveson replied it was not intended for sale, but was killed for the dogs. Several witnesses were called in support of the case. The defence set up was that the beast of which the meat had formed part belonged to Mr. DINSDALE a farmer near Hawes, who in December last was having it driven to Leyburn fair, and on reaching the village of Wensley it had to be left at the inn there owing to illness and was ultimately killed by IVESON, and was intended to be sent home. The bench fined the defendant £5 with costs in default of payment two months’ imprisonment.

Alfred HINCK, West Witton, charged on remand with poaching in the Thawls Wood, Leyburn, was fined £1. 1s and costs; in default one months’ imprisonment.

21 Apr 1875. Liverpool Mercury
April 17 at St. Mary's Cartmel, Lancashire, by the Rev. C.K. Clay, M.A., vicar. Robert, youngest son of John CHAPMAN Esq., Thornton Rust, Wensleydale to Margaret, second daughter of Henry Thomas ROBINSON Esq., of The Cliff, Wensleydale

April 25 1876
A young gentleman named George WINN jun, solicitor of Askrigg, Wensleydale, came to an untimely end on Saturday night last, whilst crossing the ford over the River Yore. As far as we can glean the particulars, the deceased had driven to Richmond on the morning of Saturday, and on his way home dined with Mr. H.T. ROBINSON of the Cliffe, Leyburn, and drove from thence by way of West Witton to Chantrey, where he stayed a short time, and left that place at half past ten in the evening. The night was fearfully dark but he had lamps attached to the dogcart. He had then about four miles to travel before he came to the crossing of the river which was his most direct route to Askrigg, the place of his abode. Nothing is known further till Sunday morning at sixx o’clock when his dead body was found washed down the stream, considerable below the ford, and the dogcart and pony were both found in an upright position just below the entry to the ford, but the pony was also dead. It is supposed the unfortunate gentleman had been misguided by the lights of the lamps and steam from the pony; that he had (instead of getting fair on the ford, which is in daylight a capital crossing) got a little too far down the river, where the water runs deep; and that he had wither leaped or was thrown out of the dogcart. Deceased’s watch had stopped at one o’clock which would probably indicate the time of the accident. Deceased was about 40 years of age, was in business at Askrigg, in partnership with his father, under the name of G. and G. WINN. He was to have been married in June next, to Miss CLARKSON of Chantrey, at whose house deceased was last seen alive.

25 Aug 1877
On Thursday an inquest was held by Dr. Walton, Coroner, at the Star Inn, West Witton, Bedale, to inquire into the cause of death of Mary PARNELL aged 30 years, postmistress. On the night of the 20th inst. Deceased retired to bed in her usual state of health. During the night she complained to her aunt, who slept in the same room, that she had a pain in her arm, and died almost instantly. Verdict, “Died from natural causes.”

Jan 2 1878
Yesterday morning about eleven o’clock, a child of the name of James William DINSDALE, aged four years of Castle Bolton was left by its mother in the house alone. Upon her returning she found the child with all its clothes on fire. She extinguished them as soon as she could but the little fellow only lived six hours afterwards.

Jan 2 1878
In our report published yesterday of the inquest held at Melmerby on Wednesday, on the body of Jeffrey GRAHAM, an important statement in the evidence of Dr. Slater was omitted, viz, ‘that he was of opinion that death ensued from inflammation of the membranes of the brain, caused by injury to the head.’. The reference to the internal organs being healthy and free from disease applied only to the organs of the chest and abdomen.

Aug 30 1878
Dr. Walton yesterday, coroner, held an inquiry at Castle Bolton on view of the body of Sarah Elizabeth STOREY who died on Wednesday from typhoid fever. This inquiry was held under the provision of the Public Health Acts. By these Acts the duty of preventing epidemic disease is intrusted to officers of health and as the occurrence of death known or suspected to be from such diseases implies culpability on the part of some of the officers, deaths therefrom now form proper subjects for legal investigation. After viewing the body the inquiry was adjourned for a week to allow a Public Health Office time to make a sanitary inspection of the village.

Sep 7 1878
On Thursday an adjourned inquest was held by Dr. Walton, Coroner, at Castle Bolton. This inquest was opened on the 29th ult on view of the body of Elizabeth STORY, whose death was caused by typhoid fever, that disease being very prevalent in the district. The inquiry was held under the Public Health Act. Mr Richard METCALFE, surgeon of Leyburn stated that he was Medical Officer of Health for the Laburn Rural Sanitary Authority and tat he received the registrar’s certificate. The first case brought into Castle Bolton was imported on the 28th of last January and since that time there had been a few more cases. He found that the water supply was bad, but he did not attribute the deceased’s death to that. She no doubt, obtained the disease by nursing a relation who was suffering from typhoid fever. Verdict, ‘Died from typhoid feer and effusion on the brain,’

Aug 30 1879
At Leyburn Petty Sessions, yesterday, James FAWCETT and James PRATT, farm servants of West Witton, were charged by George SMITHSON, gamekeeper, of Swinethwaite, with trespassing in pursuit of game on the 7th inst, at Well Close Plantation and Temple Pasture, in the occupation of James PILKINGTON. The two defendants were seen by the complainant, ranging the plantation with a cur dog. The dog started a hare, which it followed, being urged by the defendants. Pratt was fined £2. 16s and Fawcett £1. 1s, including costs

31 Oct 1879 Northern Echo
Yesterday Mr GOOD one of Her Majesty’s inspectors for the Charity Commissioners, held an inquiry in the Grammar School Hawes. There was a large attendance – The Inspector stated that the object of the present inquiry was to ascertain what endowments existed and what improvements might be made in the management of the same. He only had been able  to find other two charities to inquire into, namely, Hawes Grammar School and Poor’s Close at High Abbotside. The parish of Aysgarth was of great extent being over twenty miles in length. The Hawes Grammar School was endowed, by deed dated November 27th 1764, by a sum of money subscribed by the inhabitants of Hawes. That sum was originally invested in the tolls of the Sedbusk turnpike roads. The whole income came to £10 per annum and was given to the master of the school to instruct five poor boys free. Mr LODGE of Askrigg, about thirty years ago, made a free gift to the school of 5s per year, as a fee farm rent, which sum had regularly been paid. The whole of the income at the present date was, from all sources, £18 A YEAR. The Inspector recommend that the real estate and the fund invested in stocks should be placed in the hands of the official trustees. He suggested that the trustees should sell the present Grammar School and buy land and erect a large school, with proper outbuildings. It was suggested that the present National School should be bought for this purpose, and after a long discussion about the appointment of the trustees to manage the Grammar School if it should obtain the premises of the National School it was finally settled that there should be the nine trustees of the Grammar School and the four trustees of the National to be ex officio trustees of the Grammar School.

Jan 31 1880 Northern Echo
At Leyburn Petty Sessions yesterday, Robert SHARPLES, labourer, Hawes, and William HESELTINE, labourer, Newbigging, were charged by the North-Eastern Railway Company with annoying passengers on their railway on the 15th January. The defendants were travelling on the 15th inst from Leyburn to Hawes, when they commenced to quarrel, and a most furious fight took place between Leyburn Station and Redmire. On the arrival fo the train at Aysgarth, the defendants got out of the carriage and would again have fought if the stationmaster had not interfered. The defendants were fined £5 15s 2d, including costs.

29 May 1880 Northern Echo
Claim against a clergyman for poor-rate. At Leyburn Petty Sessions yesterday, Mr. Winn, solicitor of Askrigg, made application to the Bench for a distress warrant against the Rev. John CHAPMAN of Thornton Rust, for the payment of 11s 2d poor-rate.

Jul 31 1880
John WALKER, greengrocer of Askrigg, was yesterday fined £1 4s 6d, at Leyburn Petty Sessions, for being drunk whilst in charge of a horse and cart at Aysgarth on the 2nd July.

Isaac HODGSON, labourer of Aysgarth, was yesterday at Leyburn Petty Sessions fined £1 4s including costs, for refusing to quit the George and Dragon Inn, at Aysgarth, on the night of the 10th July.

Sep 29 1880
Yesterday Dr. Walton, county coroner, held an inquest at the King’s Arms Inn, Redmire, on view of the body of Emma METCALFE, aged fifty-five yars, wife of James METCALFE, labourer. The deceased resided at Carperby. On the 26th she was at Redmire when she complained of being ill. She was allowed to rest at Richard METCALFE ’s and as she got worse Dr. Baker of Aysgarth was sent for, but she died before his arrival. Verdict, ‘Died suddenly from natural causes.’

Oct 8 1880 Newcastle Courant
There are few more picturesque churchyards than that of Aysgarth in Wensleydale. Aysgarth is one of the largest parishes in England. The church is worth looking at, Originally builty in the reign of Henry III it underwent considerable alterations in the reign of Henry VIII, and a dozen years ago it was re-built with the exception of the tower. The stained glass is the attraction of the church to casual visitors, but there is also a carved wooden screen brought from Jervaulx Abbey. In the churchyard there are many old tombstones. A lady, writing to me from Askrigg, sends an inscription which she says is almost grand in its simplicity. The deceased, I understand, had an objection to monuments and their effusive narratives, and nothing of the kind was to be placed over his grave. So his friends placed a rude slab of unhewn granite over the spot where it is now embedded in the turf, Inserted is a little brass with the following –
This marks the grave of
John WRAY of High Gill
Better known as Deaf John
Who died 1 July 1847
Aged 82 years
In manhood strong
And Daring. In old age
Firm and God-fearing,
Always staunch and faithful.

These four lines might have been written by Kingsley–

Jun 13 1881
On Saturday an inquest was held at the Black Bull Hotel, West Burton by Dr Walton county coroner, on view of the body of William BROWN, aged fifty six years, a leadminer, of West Burton. The deceased was, on the 31st of last month, descending the shaft of a leadmine situate near to West Burton for the purpose of removing part of the working plant. On getting near to a place where a £bunney” had been placed for the purpose of working a drift, he lost his light and fell to the bottom of the shaft. It is supposed that he had stepped back on to a landing and overbalanced himself. Verdict “Accidentally killed” Mr Atkinson, the Government inspector, was present at the inquiry

Jul 22 1882
James CRADOCK (on bail) a schoolmaster, was indicted for feloniously, with a certain loaded revolver, shooting at John Henry WINTERSGILL, with intent to do grievous bodily har, at East Witton on the 19th February. Mr. Skidmore who appeared for the prosecution, stated that  the question for the jury to consider was with what intent the prisoner fired the revolver and of that they must judge by his actions. On the day in question several lads were playing in a field near the prisoner’s house, and they began to throw sods at each other. One of the sods hit the prisoner, who happened to be passing. The lads then went in another direction, but the prosecutor had to pass the prisoner’s house. As he was passing, the prisoner rushed out with a revolver, and fired upon him. Fortunately he did no harm by the first shot, but he fired again and the shot penetrated the prisoners clothing. Mr LOCKWOOD and Mr FENWICK were counsel for the prisoner. Mr Lockwood in addressing the jury, said it had been admitted by the learned counsel for the prosecution that the conduct of the lads to the prisoner was about as disgraceful and abominable as it culd have been. He was going home peaceably on the night in question, when he was suddenly set upon by a number of young men, and after going into the house he came out again and fired the pistol on to the ground to frighten them away. The jury found the prisoner Not guilty, and he was discharged, amid some applause from the people in court.

Feb 13 1883 Northern Echo
Death of a Well-known Cattle dealer – The remains of the late Mr Richard MIDDLETON were interred in Aysgarth Churchyard yesterday. Deceased was one of the largest cattle dealers in the North Riding, and was respected by all who knew him. Fever was the cause of death. Deceased was forty-six years of age.

July 11 1883
At Leyburn Police Court yesterday, Mr. R.W. BEETHAM, local manager of the Darlington District Banking Company’s branch banks at Leyburn and Hawes, was committed for trial at the assizes on a charge of misappropriating the moneys of his employers.

Nov 15 1883
The trial of the action which was to recover possession of an estate called Elm House, in Wensleydale, alleged to have been sold to the plaintiff, but which the defendant, Mrs. OTHER, claimed under a deed of gift from the vendor, who was the father-in-law of both parties, was continued today before Mr Justice North in the Chancery division of the High Court of Justice,
Mr Hadley having summed up the evidence in support of the claim.
Mr Samuel Ballard of Cambridge, the father of Mrs OTHER, was called for the defence, and stated that he went with his daughter to Gammershill in North Yorkshire on a visit to Mr KNOWLES for grouse shooting. The house at which they were staying was about eight miles from Coverham Abbey, the residence of Mr Christopher OTHER. A few days after their arrival they were introduced to Christopher OTHER and his son, and after the introduction Thomas William OTHER was a frequent visitor at Mr KNOWLES ’s house. On one occasion Thomas dined there, and after dinner asked and obtained witness’s consent to pay his addresses to Miss Ballard. Mr OTHER expressed satisfaction at his son’s approaching marriage, and said he intended to give him elm House and £1,000. He suggested that witness should give a few thousands, but he refused absolutely to do anything of the kind. When, however, the inteded union had became publioc he assented to a proposition of Mr OTHER ’s that they should each allow the young people £200 a year, because he thought matters had gone too far for the engagement to be broken off. Mrs OTHER, the defendant, confirmed her father’s testimony, and stated that the absolute gift to Mr Thos OTHER of Elm House was one of her inducements to the marriage. She understood that the deed had been executed, but was not to be registered till after the marriage because in the event of the marriage not taking place the deed would be void. She had one child, a son, born two months after her husband’s death.
The case was again adjourned.

Dec 21 1883
On Saturday, Dr. Walton opened an inquest at the Workhouse, Leyburn, on the body of John TOBIN (72) a hawker – From the evidence it appeared that the deceased’s wife had been looking after her  daughter, who was ill at West Witton. A week last Thursday the deceased went to that place to see his wife, and was taken ill. On the following Wednesday his son in law named HIND, told him if he was not out of the house before twelve o’clock next day he would drag him out. Hind’s wife and mother in law entreated him not to do so, as the old man was in a dying state; but he still persisted in his treats, and used such violent language that Mr. Tobin saw Mr RODWELL, the overseer, when that gentleman said all he could do was to have the old man taken to the Workhouse, a letter being forwarded by Mr Rodwell instructing the Workhouse Master to take him in. Tobin suffered great agony upon the road, and expired shortly after he had been carried into the house. After hearing the evidence of Mrs Tobin, the inquiry was adjourned to allow of a post mortem examination being made.

12 Jun 1784
An effort was commenced some short time ago to provide some means for the social and intellectual welfare of the navvies employed in the construction of the Leyburn and Hawes branch of the North-Eastern Railway. This branch commenced in the autumn of last year, and, as a natural result, large numbers of men have been brought into the neighbourhood, and it is for these that a reading room ws opened on the 10th inst, at the village of Carperby, in Wensleydale. Thos. WILLIS, jun., of the Manor House, having represented the necessities of the railway employees to Messrs. PEASE, they, with the kind consideration which always characterises them, at once came foward with the requisite aid. A large and commodious wooden building, well lighted, and comfortably furnished with seats having backs to them and tables has been put up at considerable cost, and yesterday this erection was opened by a tea and public meeting. Tea was gratuitously provided by the following ladies; Mrs Thomas WILLIS, Mrs William HEWGILL, Mrs THOMPSON, Mrs. Richard WILLIS, and Mrs John HEWGILL, to which the men and their wives and friends were invited. Numbers responded to the invitation, and enjoyed most thoroughly the elegant and sumptuous repast set before them. The ladies of this famous dale being noted for their excellent teas, we need only say that the spread was worthy of them. After tea, which was provided in the new building, the people adjourned to the Friends' Meeting-house, where a public meeting was held, under the presidencey of the Rev. Mr STOWE, vicar of Aysgarth, and addressed by Mr. Thomas Willis, Mr. J. M. BROWNE, of Darlington (who attended as the representative of the Messrs Pease); Mr. Jas Willis of Bainbridge; and Mr. Arthur WESTBURY, the latter being the missionary employed to laour on the line. Mr Willis gave an account of the origin of the movement, and the heartiness with which the gentlemen at Darlington responded to his request for a room in which the men might meet for recreation and improvement from time to time. the building is 42 feet long and 35 feet wide, and consists of a reading-room, where coffee and other refreshing drinks will be provided. In the former, of these rooms there will be papers, magazines, and a library of books, and in the latter, draughts, chess, bagatelle board, &c., for all who choose to use them, free of charge, whether they be railway men or residents of the village. It ought to be mentioned that Mr JUBB, the contractor of the branch, has generously contributed towards the cost of the erection, having conveyed the timber from Leyburn, and sent his men to put it together. It is intended that the reading-room shall be open on the Sunday as well as on the weekday, and no effort will be spared to render the institution as useful as it is possible to make it. Votes of thanks to the ladies, to the chairman, and to the Messrs Pease, brought the proceedings to a close, and we imagine it will be long ere the people forget this red-letter day in the history of Carperby.

13 Sept 1861The Newcastle Courant
Marriages - At Wensley by the Hon and Rev T O Powlet M A , Arthur youngest son of James Booty Esq of Castle House, Epping Forest, to Fanny Elizabeth second daughter of the rev Miles G Booty M.A. incumbent of Coverham and Horsehouse Yorkshire (no cards).

1866 24 December. Glasgow Herald; Issue 8414

The Wensleydale hounds had on the 13th instant one of the most extraordinary runs on record. The meet was at the village of Hardraw, where a goodly number of gentlemen had assembled to met the much respected and gallant master, who was accompanied by his sons and a few others of the right sort. The fox, as he crossed the valley, appeared to be an immense one, and a real “varmint” he turned out. After crossing the river Yore and going along the valley of Widdall, over Widdall Fell, down Mossdale into the West Riding, then returning by Moorcock, Thwaite Bridge, and Cotterfell, when he took a sudden turn for Shunnerfell, on the borders of Westmoreland, and where, after a slight check, the hounds turned him, and ran him to the Stoney Gill, at the head of Swaledale, where they were called off in the moonlight. The run from start to finish occupied six hours and a quarter, with only two slight checks, and the distance must have been 40 miles at the least. Several horsemen rode with the hounds the greatest part of the run, but near the end were, in consequence of the boggy nature of the soil, compelled to leave their horses and finish on foot. Only a quarter of a mile from a well-known earth in Stoney Gill, where the hounds were called away, Reynard was seen in a distressed condition and the hounds only 200 yards behind him in hot pursuit, but it is supposed by the footmen who got to the place a few minute after, and found the hounds at a loss, that this game fox had gone to ground and thus evaded his pursuers, who richly deserved his brush after so gallant a run. – Manchester Examiner.

25 July 1873Northern Echo
Terrible Heat in the Dales, eight deaths from sun stroke ! Eight deaths from sunstroke and several persons ill from excessive heat. In this neighbourhood there were never known to many casualities in so short a space of time... and which took place on Tuesday last. On Tuesday the heat was many degree over that of Monday, and being in the midst of the hay season, all hands were got by the farmers that could be mustered and no doubt in many cases people went to hay who were scarcely able to stand a day's work, let alone the excessive heat of the weather. At Caldbergh, about two miles from Middleham they were making pikes in the field, one forking and another putting the same together. Both had eaten a hearty dinner and in the afternoon the one who had been on the top of the pike came down for the purpose of forking the next, and to all appearance was well : but in taking hold of the fork he did so at the wrong end, and his fellow workman thought he was larking, but he suddenly fell down in a fit and was dead in twenty minutes. His name was William STUBBS aged forty. At the same place but a little nearer to the moor side, the wife of Francis YEOMAN had to be taken from the field in a helpless condition, and she is scarcely expected to recover. A few miles further up the dale, a t a place called Swineside, a servant girl of the name of MILNER. daughter of Mr MILNER, schoolmaster of Horsehouse, was in a hayfield and was taken suddenly ill and died during the night. Passing over the  valley of the   Yore , a man of the name of Anthony WEIGHILL, who was in the employ of Mr Chas BLENKINSOP, farmer and cattle dealer, was also working at hay. A short time after partking of a glass of beer he was seen to fall, and the servant girl jokingly exclaimed that the beer had made him drunk. She, however, went in a short time and raised his head. and seeing what was the matter with the poor fellow she swooned away as well. She soon recovered, but the man died shortly afterwards.
At Spennithorne, Middleham, Carlton and Preston, several people were taken ill while working in the fields ; at Hawes a man from the west country is lying dead at the White Hart Inn. Mary METCALF, servant at Gale near Hawes, is lying dead; and a man at Marsett also of the name of METCALF, better known as BLUNDELL, who was assisting Mr HALL, farmer of Marsett, died from sunstroke.
A servant man in the employ of Mr Scar, farmer of Holme near Askrigg, of the name of Thos WALKER, also died in a few minutes after being taken ill from the same effects.
A navvy, name unknown , is dead on the road to Hawes. There is also a report that two men are dead at Castle Bolton, but our reporteR had not time to enquire as to the truth

20 Aug 1875 Northern Echo
Reopening of West Witton Church
Wednesday will be a day long to be remembered by the inhabitants of West Witton, a village at the foot of Wensleydale, about five miles to the west of Leyburn and Middleham, as being the day of the reopening of the parish church, named St. Bartholomew, with special service, and a sermon by the Lord Bishop of Ripon. An additional piece of ground was also consecrated for burial purposes at the close of the service. The work of restoration has been going on for some time, and now a really pretty edifice supplies the room of what ages of neglect of architectural rules had converted into a dismal and deformed structure, scarcely worth the name of a place of public worship. The inhabitants of the village and their friends took up the work with great spirit, and subscribed liberally towards an object so generally desired. many, too, have contributed special gifs, which have added much to the beauty and utility of the edifice. Among these kind friends may particularly be mentioned Mrs. CLARKSON, of the Chantry, who has given a beautiful painted window, and a reredos, inscribed with the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandment &c; Mr. and Mrs. T.K. KING, who have put another very fine window in the church; and Miss KING, of Redmire, who has presented a handsome cloth for the Communion Table, two chairs, and some other articles of an ornamental description. The cost of rebuilding the chancel has been entirely defrayed by LORD BOLTON, and has been completed from designs furnished by Messrs ATKINSON, of York, to whom His Lordship gave charge of this part of the work. These gentlemen, also, kindly suggested certain additons to the plans originally proposed by Mr. NAPIER, of East Witton, for the restoration of the other part of the church, to whom, indeed, as well as to the builders, Messrs MAWER and PEARSON, very great credit is due for their able services. In taking down the old walls, some interesting relics of past ages were brought to light. These seem to point out the fact that a church existed at West Witton at a very early period, probably soon after the introduction of Christianity to the Saxon inhabitants of the land. To this period at least one might think should be assigned one or two exceedingly plain and simple window heads. A very perfect Saxon cross click for larger imageof good workmanship was also discovered in a niche in the chancel wall, only previously concealed from view by a flat stone. A very singular stone was found, containing a rude sculpture of a figure bearing a cross; and various other traces of ancient workmanship were also revealed. It would seem that on the ruins of the oldes Saxon structure an early Norman building had been erected; and again, about the 15th century, another transformation had been effected; and then, during the subsequent period, as alterations had been required, they had been done with an utter disregard to appearance, and with a desire to lay on as much plaster and whitewash as possible. The history of the Parish of West Witton like that of many other ancient places, contains much that is interesting to the student of local lore. More than a brief sketch of it would, however, be out of place here. It appears in Saxon times to have been one of the principal, and probably the principal place in Wensleydale, as Wensley and some other manors were attached to it. In process of time it appears to have come into the possession of the Nevilles, Lords of Middleham, through an intermarriage with the family of Tattersall, and from the Nevilles it passed into the hands of the Crown, Ann Neville having become the wife of Richard III. The advowson of the living, as well as the manor itself, appears to have been the subject of some legal disputes, in the reigns of King John and his immediate successors. Richard de Craueford is mentioned as holding the benefice in the time of King John, and one Simon, clerk to the Earl of Chester, was appointed to succeed him. This ancient rectory was at an early period valued at £20 a year - in those days a considerable sum. It fell like many others into the hands of the monks of Jerveaux, who assigned out of its revenues an annual stipend of $5 6s 8d for the maintenance of a vicar to discharge the spiritual duties of the parish. At the time of the dissolution of the monasteries, King Henry VIII, granted a lease of the recotry of West Witton, with allits possessions, to one Richard MASON, a groom of his stall, especially reserving, however, the aforesaid stipend to the vicar or chaplain serving the church of West Witton. The sermon of the Lord Bishop of Ripon on the interesting occasion of reopening this ancient church was founded upon the text from the 5th chapter of St. Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians, 1st verse, "Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children, " and which was listened to by a large and attentive audience; in fact, every seat and available place was taken up by a respectable congregation, including a many of the best families in the neighbourhood. A good collection was taken, which will be devoted towards the Restoration Fund. The Vicar went through all the service with the exception of the sermon. There were in attendance a dozen clergymen, representing the various parishes around, including the Rural Dean, Rev. E.C. TOPHAM, rector of Hauxwell.

1887. 02 June. Northern Echo; Issue 5388

SPORTS AT HAWES. The sixteenth annual Whitsuntide sports were held in the Cricket Field at Hawes yesterday. The weather was fine but bitterly cold, but notwithstanding the unfavourableness of the weather between 600 and 700 people paid for admission. A hound dog trail took place over the hills. Six dogs started, and the first dog home was Mr CHERRY’S Duster, belonging to the Swaledale pack. Two dogs returned on the scent on which they were started, and other two were lost on the moors for several hours. The following is the list of the winners of the various events:
Quoiting – 1st, One pound, T. IVESON, Coverdale; 2nd, ten shillings, G THWAITES, Hawes; 3rd, five shillings, J ALDERSON, Hawes.
Football. R METCALFE’S team beat R GRAINGER’S team by one goal to nil, and won the football which was given as the prize.
Hound and Dog Trail. R CHERRIE’S “Duster” came in first, and won the first prize of one pound; the other dogs did not come in on the proper scent, and no second prize was awarded.
Running Long Leap. S PICKLES, Kilwick, ten shillings, 1; M J MASTERMAN, Middleham, six shillings, 2.
All-weight Wrestling. First round – B AKRIGG, Warcup, threw W COATES, Crackpot; M GOLDING threw M COATES. Final – GOLDING threw AKRIGG and won.
100 Yards Flat Race – First heat – THOMPSON, Barnard Castle, 1; T H MATERMAN, Middleham, 2. Second heat – M J MASTERMAN, Middleham, 1;SPOONER, Appleby,2; Final heat – THOMPSON, sixteen shillings, 1; MASTERMAN, seven shillings and sixpence, 2.
400 Yards Flat Race – DICKINSON, Nelsom, one pound, 1; T H MASTERMAN, six shillings, 2; SPOONER, Appleby, two shillings and sixpence, 3.
Trotting, for All-comers, One Mile. There were four competitors, who had to run three times. First heat – M BELL’S “Yorkshire Girl”, 1; J PARRINGTON’S “Little Darkey”, 2; HARGREAVE’S “Opera”, 3; A JOHNSON’S “Comet”, 4. Second heat – “Yorkshire Girl”, 1; “Opera”, 2; “Little Darkey”, 3. “Yorkshire Girl” was now awarded the first prize of six pounds, and on “Opera” and “Little Darkey” running off for second place. “Opera” won easily, getting the second prize of two pounds.
One Mike Flat Race – DICKINSON, Nelsom, 1; M BELL, Hawes, 2; COOK, Oughton, 3. Won easily.
Pole Leaping – MORPHET and DIXON divided first and second prizes; T H MASTERMAN won the third prize. Music was provided by the Easby Brass Band.


1878. 29 April. The Leeds Mercury; Issue 12496

CARRIAGE ACCIDENT NEAR RICHMOND. Mr RICHARD ROBERTS, manager of the Swaledale and Wensleydale Bank, was returning from Leyburn on Friday, and in descending Waitwith Bank the horse fell, throwing him violently out of the carriage. The driver was also thrown out. They were both injured, but the injuries were not of a very serious nature.

1881. 09 June. The Leeds Mercury; Issue 13468

HAWES ATHLETIC FESTIVAL. The tenth annual festival in connection with this rising Wensleydale town was held yesterday, in the large Nursery Side Pasture, at Hawes. Upwards of sixty pounds was given in prizes, and there was some excellent sport. The weather was fine, but cold. There was a large attendance.
Extract: High Leap – EDWARD BRODERICK, Summer Lodge, Swaledale, and JESSOP, Bedale, each jumped 5ft 1½ in., when a dispute arose, and Jessop left the ring. HERBERT HARRIS, Richmond, was third, clearing 5ft. LODGE and CHISHOLME also competed.
Mile Trotting Race (open) – Mr HUNTER’S Duchess (T THOMPSON), 1; Mr J TROTTER’S bay mare (Owner), 2; Mr J SUNTER’S bay pony (BROWN), 3. Four ran and the winner won easily.
Dog Trail (for hounds), about four miles – Mr JAMES BEARPARK’S Rumper (Swaledale Hounds), 1; Captain CHAPMAN’S Rumper (Wensleydale Hounds)2. Six competed.


14 Jul 1881
West Burton Lead Mine, near Aysgarth Station. Important to Miners, Joiners, Builders, &c.
Messrs J. HESELTINE and son will sell by auction (without reserve), on Monday July 18th, 1881, all the Valuable Mining plant, engines, boilers, level waggons, rails, blacksmith's shop and tools, wire ropes, timber sleepers, wood offices and sheds, pumps, galvanised piping, &c., &c.
Sale at 10 o'clock prompt.

2 Aug 1884
Messrs. HOPPER & Sons will, on Thursday next, sell by auction, at Scawin's Hotel, York, an historic property, the Middleham state (with Braithwaite), situate in the North Riding of Yorkshire. It comprises 1870 acres, exclusive of Middleham Moor (370 acres). and Middleham Common, the manorial rights of which go with the estate. The property is situate in the parishes of Middleham, East Witton and Coverdale, is one of the finest in Yorkshire, and has been in the possession of the present owners since the time of Charles I. Wensleydale, a most lovely district, is full of historic interest. Close by, on the east side, are the ruins of Jerveaux Abbey, the property of the Marquis of Ailesbury. On the west is Bolton Hall, the seat of LORD BOLTON, and the ancient castle of Bolton where the hapless Mary Queen of Scots was brought from Carlisle on her flight from Scortland on the 13th July, 1568, and where she remained till January 26th, 1569. It was at this castle that the intrigue commenced between Mary and the Duke of Norfolk, which ended in the decapitation of the Duke on Tower Hill. The auctioneers will also sell the manors of Middleham and Braithwaite, with the ruins of Middleham Castle, famous as the stronghold of the celebrated Earl of Warwick, "the last of the Barons." The estate which is principally grass land of superior quality and well timbered, includes two miles in length of the River Cover, a capital trout stream. Braithwaite Old Hall and the farm buildings are in good order. The rental amounts to about £2820 a year, exclusive of plantations and sporting rights, subject to a tithe rent - charge of £101, and the fee farm rents amounting to £25 7s per annum. It is a long time since such an extensive magnificent, and eligible sporting and residential property found its way into the market. We predict a large attendance of intending buyers at the sale.


May 20 1885
At Leyburn Police Court yesterday, George SMITHSON and John SMITHSON, gamekeepers in the employ of Mr. PILKINGTON, were charged with unlawfully arresting and searching George CLARKE, a miner and farm labourer, of West Witton. Mr. Jaynes of Darlington who prosecuted, said that on the evening of May 13th complainant was walking home over a footpath across some fields when defendants met him and accused him of stealing pheasants’ eggs, which he denied. George SMITHSON called him a liar and scoundrel, took hold of him and searched his pockets but found nothing, as Clarke had never touched either the pheasants or their eggs. The charge against John Smithson was dismissed, as there was no incriminating evidence against him, and Mr. Stevenson, who defended, called him as a witness. He stated that his brother and himself remained for six hours in a tree watching for any attempt to steal the eggs. When they came down they discovered some eggs were missing and resumed defendant had taken them. A fine of 2s 6d and £1 2s costs was imposed, and we understand that further legal proceedings will be taken.

27 Jun 1885
Yesterday, John DAKIN and James CHAPMAN were fined 19s 6d each for trespassing

19 Aug 1886
It is about time something was done in the way of getting St. Oswald’s (Askrigg) Churchyard enlarged. For some time past there has not been a grave dug without some human remains being unearthed, and as they must according to law, be replaced, it has become the custom for the sexton to heap sundry bones on top of the coffin before the mourners disperse. At present the prevalent feeling among mourners after a burial service takes place is that perhaps the next grave that is dug will see the skull of their loved one brought again to the surface and in turn, reburied. Last week two funeral services were conducted and at these I saw for myself a skull and no less than seven bones and pieces of bones. Visitors who come in from different parts of the country appear horrified at the sights they witness. I feel sure that this matter only wants mentioning to the proper authority to be immediately remedied.

Mar 8 1887 Belfast News
The will (dated September 30, 1886) of Mr Robert Metcalfe ATKINSON late of No 6, St. Germaine Place, Blackheath, who died on December 31 last was proved on the 14th ult by Mrs Anna Day ATKINSON, the widow, and the Rev Albert Brooke WEBB, two of the executors, the value of the personal estate amounting to upwards of £27,000. The testator gives £1,500 upon trust to maintain a market-house, reading rooms, library, offices, and refreshment-rooms in the township of Hawes, in the parish of Aysgarth, in the County of York, on a site which he expects will be provided; but if a site is not provided within three years, or if any intoxicating liquors are sold, the money is to be held upon trust for his wife; £200 to the ministers and churchwardens of the said township, upon trusts, for investment, and to apply the income in the purchase of blankets and warm clothing, to be distributed on December 2 in each year to the poor of said township of the age of 60 or upwards; £200 each to the Bible Society, the Church Pastoral Aid Society, the Church Missionary Society, the Society for Promoting Female Education in the East, the Irish church Missions for the South of Ireland, and the London City Mission; his horses, carriages, furniture and effects and £300 to his wife; £6,000 upon trust for his wife, for life, and then as she shall appoint.


Mar 26 1887
At Leyburn Police Court yesterday, John IVESON, schoolmaster, was fined 2s6d, and costs, for assaulting Annie KILBURN (10), the daughter of William KILBURN, farmer at Carperby, on the 22nd of February. The girl stated that on the day in question she was given six sums to do by the defendant. She could not do them, and he then gave her six strokes with his cane, make, it was alleged, her hand black and blue, and bruising the skin. Lord Bolton expressed his conviction that in the case of a girl corporal punishment ought not to be inflicted. William KILBURN was then charged with using threatening language to John IVESON, at Carperby, on the 23rd ult. The case was one arising out of the previous case, and it was alleged that KILBURN told IVESON that “he would lay in wait for him some of these dark nights and mark him properly.” The defence was a complet denial of the complainant’s statement. Case dismissed.

May 20 1887
The Late Mr Thomas WILLIS. This gentleman who has, in conjunction with his son, occupied for many years the farm of Carperby, Wensleydale, died last week at the advanced age of 96. The family name became known over a wide district of country through the success of both father and son in the breeding and rearing of shorthorn cattle

21 Sep 1887
Receiving orders..
John PALEY, Countersett, near Hawes, Yorkshire, innkeeper and farmer.

On the 26th inst (Oct) 1887 at the Friends’ Meeting House, Carperby, George Wm. Thompson Cary, of Scarborough, only son of William F. Cary, to Elizabeth Jane (Lizzie) only daughter of William THOMPSON, Carperby

Jan 31 1888
At Leyburn Petty Sessions yesterday, Charles ALSOP, labourer, of West Witton was charged by Police constable Lang with having been in possession of eight rabbits on the night of the 2nd inst. As the defendant has been several times convicted of poaching, the Bench fined him the full penalty of £5 and 11s 6d costs.

31 Mar 1888
At Leyburn Police Court on Thursday, William KILBURN, farmer and Bryan ROE, huntsman to the Aysgarth Hounds, were charged with trespassing in pursuit of game on land the property of Lord Bolton in the occupation of Mr. Thomas WILLIS at Carperby, on the 8th inst……….fined5s and costs.

28 Jul 1888
In this case, which was partly heard on the previous day, the plaintiff, James BLADES, farmer and keeper of a shooting-box, called Simonstone Hall, Hawes, brought an action to recover damages for the seduction of his cousin, Mary Jane BLADES, who was in his employment as servant. The defendant was Osborne Thomas PINCK, aged 25, a medical student at Glasgow, and son of the Vicar of Hardrow. ..... The jury after an absence of two hours, gave a Verdict for the Plaintiff; damages £40.

Dec 29 1888
Elizabeth ROWNTREE, widow, late of Spennythorne, was charge with entering the dwelling house of Mr. CARTWRIGHT, general dealer, Middleham, on the 20th inst and stealing a quantity of women’s wearing apparel and 16s in copper. The owner and his wife were away from 8am to noon, and on returning found that an entrance had been made by breaking a pane of glass in the back door near the lock, and th kitchen drawers were open and ransacked, and the articles named were missing. Superintendent Nicholson, who happened to be passing at the time, was called in. Prisoner was traced to Darnley, where she was apprehended with the property in her possessionl She was committed for trial at Northallerton sessions.


Apr 15 1889
I have not observed in your obituary colum the announcement of the death of Mr J. J. THWAITE of Nappa Hall. Mr John James THWAITE, of Low Tors, Semerwater, died somewhat suddenly on Friday. Deceased was fifty one years of age and has been in a rather delicate state of health but has not been confined to his bed. Deceased was chairman of the Askrigg Liberal Association and for many years represented the township of Askrigg on the Bainbridge Board of Guardians. He was owner of Low Tors Estate and the family is one of the oldest which have resided upon the banks of Lake Semerwater.

Nov 2 1889
Yesterday – Sarah HANDLEY, who our correspondent sttes, made her twenty-eight appearance, was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment, the charges against her being that she was wandering about without any visible means of subsistence, and that she broke sixteen squares of glass in the Leyburn Workhouse. This poor creature, who was only lately released from Durham Gaol, manifests an invincible repugnance to going into the Leyburn Workhouse, to which Union she belongs
......more on Sarah from 25 Sep 1889 click to read article

Nov 25 1889 Northern Echo
A fatal accident occurred at Aysgarth on Thursday. It appears that as a farmer named DIXON was driving out in a trap the horse became restive, and threw him out of the trap. He got entangled in the harness, and the horse kicked one of his ribs in, from the effects of which he died on Saturday morning. Deceased leaves a wife and five children.

Feb 15 1890
Master F. RODWELL of West Witton, a Wensleydale water finder, who has found water for several persons by means of the ‘divining rod’ is going out to Queensland to find water for the population there

Mar 8, 1890 Leeds Mercury
Mrs. Betty WEBSTER of Dale Grange, Askrigg, Yorkshire, attained her 100th birthday on the 25th of February, and certificate of her birth having been sent by Mr. WINN, of The Grange, Aysgarth, to Sir John Cowell, Master of the Queen’s Household, the following letter has been received in reply – “Windsor Castle, February 27th. Dear Sir, I am commanded by the Queen to request that you will have the goodness to say to Mrs. Betty WEBSTER, of Askrigg, from Her Majesty, that she trusts she may live to celebrate in health for some years to come this anniversary of the 25th inst, which marks her entry on her 101st year. I am yours truly, J.C. Cowell

1890. 13 March. The Leeds Mercury; Issue 16203

In this cause, tried without a jury, Mr LOCKWOOD, Q.C., Mr WALTON, Q.C., and Mr KEMP were for the Plaintiffs; and Mr CYRIL DODD, Q.C., and Mr MANISTY for the Defendants. – Mr LOCKWOOD, opening the case, said the plaintiffs were the executors of the late Major JOHN AUGUSTUS METCALFE, who died in 1886 (?), and the defendants were Lord WHARNCLIFFE and Mr GEORGE BRODERICK, his Lordship’s agent in the district where the trespass complained of was committed. The plaintiffs were the owners of Fossdale Moss, a tongue of land containing one thousand two hundred acres, running north and south of Abbotside Common, near Askrigg, in Wensleydale. This land was conveyed in 1620 to persons named COLE, who in turn, with certain reservations which appeared in the deed, conveyed to one of the METCALFES, and the after-wards devised the property  to Major METCALFE, whose executors were the plaintiffs in the action. On the east, and also on the west, a deep ghyll ran; the Moss rose from 1,200 to 2,000 feet above the sea level, the lower being pasture land, and the upper moorland. The trespass complained of was committed on October 25th 1888, when Mr BRODERICK attended with others, and sheep were driven from Abbotside Common across Fossdale Moss, and a wall broken down to get to another side of the common. The defendants’ claim was merely to a right of way, and had no reference to sporting or mineral rights. The defendants denied that Major Metcalfe was entitled to fee simple in this land, and said it was situate in the Manor of High Abbotside, of which the Earl of Wharncliffe was lord. It was also held that there were owners of cattle-gates on Abbotside Common, and that by virtue of such ownership those persons had a right to drive their sheep and commonable cattle across the Moss, and that what was done was in exercise of this right. As an alternative a public right of way of the Moss was claimed. The plaintiffs, however, by their deed of 1620 had absolute right to enclose any portion of the land thereby conveyed to them. And such a right was fatal to that now put forward. It seemed that prior to 1620 the property was in the hands of certain tenants who had leases from the Crown. They set up a claim to freehold, but in the reign of Elizabeth the claim was disallowed, and all the tenants were ordered to come in and take leases of the property from the Crown. He contended that the right of enclosure was absolutely inconsistent with there being any right to traverse the land as now claimed. That power to enclose had never been challenged up to now, and when enclosure awards had been published dealing with land in the vicinity this land had been expressly exempted. The defendants, in their defence, further alleged sporting and mineral rights, but the trespass committed was not in vindication of such a right. The sporting right could not have existed, since in the year 1870 Lord Wharncliffe obtained from the Crown a right to sporting within the forest of Wensleydale, adjoining Fossdale; while in 1877 there was granted to the Metcalfes sporting and other forestry rights over Fossdale. Then no minerals had been regularly worked within living memory, though various persons had got a little for themselves.
Mr CYRIL DODD said he should call persons who had had to do with the working of the mine.
Mr LOCKWOOD, on the question of right of way, read a letter sent by Mr BORDERICK, the agent of Mr R WILMOT, of Woolley, near Wakefield, another of Lord Wharncliffe’s agents, in 1876, in which Mr Broderick said he thought that Lord Wharncliffe and his friends ought to be allowed to go across the common, otherwise there would be nothing for it but trespassing into Swaledale or going down to Simonstone. He was surprised at the claim of being cattle-gate holders. This was a wild, isolated district, and he should be astonished if there could be shown any systematic user of the road, or any acquired right persisted in with the knowledge of and against the consent of the persons entitled to the freehold.
Seeing that the trespass was admitted, his LORDSHIP pointed out that the onus of proof of right was upon the defendants, and Mr CYRIL DODD, stating the case for the defence, said that Lord Wharncliffe accepted the responsibility for the other defendant, Mr Broderick. Lord Wharncliffe’s predecessor became entitled to the property owned by him by purchase from Lord Lonsdale in 1723. It was then evident that at one time Abbotside Common was one, and not divided by Fossdale Moss, and was as at present, staff-herded – that was, shepherds kept their sheep for pasturage to allotted places on the common. The road over the Moss was of much importance, since from Cotter and Cotterdale it was the only road to the market places of Thwaite and Muker. The public, who were Lord Wharncliffe’s tenants, should have a right to reach the markets; while its use for the recovery of stray sheep was equally important. One interesting point was whether the right, if established, should be of a private or a public right-of-way. The township of High Abbotside contained about 400 people; while of 7,864 cattle gates, 4,776 belonged to Lord Wharncliffe. Disputes of friendly kind had taken place between the plaintiffs and the defendants, and now that this action had arisen, it was determined to bring in every claim, so that disputes might be avoided in future. It was hoped that the claim to the mineral rights would have been admitted, as he would prove by evidence that in the year 1845 Lord Wharncliffe’s predecessor gave a colliery lease to a man named JOHNSON, and others for twenty-one years at a rent of two hundred and twelve pounds per annum. As to the sporting rights, Lord Wharncliffe’s keepers had walked across  the Moss when shooting the Abbotside district, and within recent years they had made a point of shooting openly on the Moss once a year, although it had not been contended that had the absolute, exclusive right of shooting. The Crown had said they had a right to shoot, and appeared to have exercised it up to a recent period, and upon this both the plaintiff and the defendant set up rights. So far as Lord Wharncliffe was concerned, there was no desire to behave in an unneighbourly way, and he would be ….. of a compromise.
ROBERT KIRK, called by the defendants, said he was 80 years of age, and farmed under Lord Wharncliffe in Cotterdale, and his father occupied the same land before him. Cotterdale contained eight dwellings. Thwaite Fair was held annually, and he had driven sheep to and from that fair over Fossdale moss for sixty years. He entered the Moss by an old bridge, now fallen down, which approached the road to the coal pits, and came out on the other side at Fossdale Ghyll at a scar whose name he had forgotten. He fetched coal from the pits seventy years ago, since when they had not been worked. His father drove sheep over the Moss before him. No one ever told him this constituted trespass, and he knew no better than that it was as straight as any high road. He had also bought sheep at Muker, and taken them over the Moss. The Moss was open on the top side. On the opposite side a wall was built 13 or 14 years ago, but there were gaps to drive through, and when the holes were not ample enough he took a few stones down, and nobody complained.
MATTHEW SLINGER, aged 66, corroborated Kirk, and said that the only mining he remembered was by Johnson, where the works went in at Hern Ghyll. In cross-examination by Mr Walton, witness said that on the 3rd June last, he escorted Mr COBB, the solicitor for the plaintiffs, and a Mr SMITH, over the Moss, and on that occasion he overshot the point of exit by about a hundred yards. He was there on the October previous, and then a year before that. They had not to go so much over the Moss now as formerly, as they had a public shepherd who recovered the stray sheep.
He had also gone to Thwaite by way of Shunner Fell when he had business in Upper Swaledale, and nobody had stopped him either on the Moss or the Fell
EDWARD ALLEN, said that for many years Lord Wharncliffe’s part shot over the Moss. A former MR METCALFE was a clergyman, and not much of a sportsman.
FRANCIS CLAPHAM (aged 69) said that from 1832 to 1843 he “trailed” and waggoned coal at the pit on the Moss for Messrs. Johnson.
Wm. METCALFE said twenty years ago he was employed to drive grouse from the Moss for Lord Wharncliffe. The track from the end of the old coal-road to the ghyll there was somewhat defined – in some places better than the other – over the heather.
ANTHONY TAYLOR said that both he and his father, as gamekeepers to Lord Wharncliffe, had killed grouse on the Moss. While he had also frequently driven grouse both ways off the Moss, and no one had stopped him. Cross-examined by Mr LOCKWOOD: The only occasion on which he was stopped was six or seven years ago by the tenant, JOHN SEDGWICK. He had also been in the habit of going on the farm pastures, and had been told three or four times to leave by Sedgwick. He claimed to have as much right to go upon the pastures as upon the Moss. The other witnesses called were JAMES BRUNSKILL, BELL PRATT, JOHN KIRK, REUBEN HALTON, JOHN TAYLOR, Wm. PRATT, and WILFRID KIRK.
Both sides having put in the deeds by which the Crown had conveyed sporting rights to the Metcalfes and to Lord Wharncliffe, the defence was then concluded.
Mr LOCKWOOD, in reply, submitted that Mr Cyril Dodd was under obligation to establish some right of way in some defined track, and he had given no evidence of user from which a dedication could be presumed. He could call many witnesses to say they had never seen anybody crossing the Moss, but would not do so unless requested, inasmuch as no user, coupled with acquiescence, had been shown.
His LORDSHIP having said that he would not be wise in stopping the case, the witnesses for the plaintiffs were called.
JOHN SEDGWICK, farmer, Fossdale, for 36 years, said there had never been a road over the Moss, and people going there to recover sheep had merely done so on sufferance.
JOHN WROE, Lunds, Hawes; THOS. SEDGWICK, Melding, Wennington; Wm IVESON, Moorcock, Hawes; T E METCALFE and ISAAC METCALFE, Berkrigg, Cotterdale; CHRISTOPHER METCALFE, JOHN MOORE, Wm. SEDGWICK FAWCETT, CLEMENT THOMPSON, THOMAS STEWARD, all gave evidence to the effect that they had not seen nor heard of a right of way of Fossdale Moss.
MR FRANCIS GARTH, one of the trustees of the Metcalfe estate, also made a similar statement. The shooting rights were purchased in 1877. Walls were erected round Fossdale Moss from 1874 to 1878. Lord Wharncliffe made no objection to it.
The case was not concluded when the Court adjourned until this (Thursday) morning.


April 11, 1890 Northern Echo
John Ackroyd (20), draper, was sentenced to six months, and Henry Ford (20), draper, to two months imprisonment for obtaining, by false pretences, £6 from Fanny Eleanor PRICE, at Carperby near Aysgarth, on January 3rd last.

Aug 2, 1890 Northern Echo
Reb. Silvester WHITEHEAD, one of the most popular of missionary speakers and who on his return from the China mission field “travelled” for three years in the Darlington Circuit, has been designated to succeed Rev. Marmaduke Osborn at the Wesleyan Mission House. Mr. WHITEHEAD was born at Aysgarth, and spent his early years in Wensleydale, and the news of the honour paid to him will be received with pleasure in the North. The appointment does not take effect until next year, and will involve the Rev gentleman giving up circuit work and residing in London

Jun 4 1891
Yesterday afternoon the marriage of Mr. William Tetley son of the Rev. R. Tetley, rector of Barwell and Theodora CLARKSON , younges daughter of the late Mr John CLARKSON of The Chantry, was solemnised in the Parish Church of West Witton.

30 Jan 1892 Northern Echo
At Leyburn Police Court yesterday, J. CHAPMAN, farmer, Thornton Rust, was charged with neglecting to report an outbreak of sheepsca on the 29th Dec. Supt. ARCHER stated that he visited the premises along with a veterinary surgeon and examined a flock of eighteen sheep, and found that seven of them had been suffereing badly from the scab, but were getting better, and that one was still suffering. The Bench fined CHAPMAN £3 costs as he had been previously fined for the same offence.

Sep 1892
On the 12th inst at manor House, Carperby, Thomas WILLIS aged 67 (The interment is intended to take place at the Friends’ Burial ground, Carperby, today (the 15th inst) at two o’clock)

27 Oct 1892
At Barnard Castle on Wednesday, Mr. Christopher Coates of Darlington, offered for public competition, Robson House Farm, situate at High Whitaside, Grinton, containing about 55 acres 3 roods 31 perches, tenant, Mr. Henry GUY........[ ].......the property was knocked down to Mr. Barker, on behalf of Mr. A. H. Charlesworth, of Chapelthorpe Hall, near Wakefield.

18 Nov 1892
At Leyburn on Friday, a young gipsy-looking woman who gave the name of Sarah Ann WINTER (19), married, was brought up charged with pretending to tell fortunes at Bainbridge, near Hawes on Tuesday the 15th inst. She pleaded guilty. P.C. DEIGHTON said that prisoner in her capacity of a hawker, had gone to the house of a Mrs. BALDERSON at Yore Bridge, Bainbridge, and offered to tell the fortune of Jane BAYNES, who had opened the door to her. she first of all was told to cross Winter's hand with silver, and a shilling was produced. After commencing the prediction Winter told Baynes that she must have other 4s or else she could not complete the story. Baynes, however, had only other 1s 6d, which she handed to Winter, who then said she wanted to be by herself in order to consult the planets. Prisoner was allowed to go out of the house, when she decamped. Prisoner when apprehended and brought back offered Baynes 8d in money, which was all she had left out of the 2s 6d she had received, and she proffered to make up the difference out of her hawker's basket. Prisoner now said that Baynes pleaded with her to tell her her fortune, saying, "All you people who go about can tell fortunes." The Bench sent prisoner to gaol at Northallerton for seven days without hard labour, but ordered her pedlar's certificate to be endorsed.

Jul 8 1893
Yesterday, a widow named Elizabeth DIXON (60) was found hanging by the neck in a coalhouse belonging Mrs Ann LAMBERT, innkeeper, West Witton

Dec 9, 1893
Yesterday at the Leyburn Police Court, Alexander CHAPMAN, farmer, Bainbridge and George WATSON and James WATSON, labourers and brothers in law, were charged with stealing a hen, value 3s 6d the property of William METCALFE, foreman quarryman, Burtersett, between the 29th and 31st October last. For some time past poultry has disappeared most mysteriously in the Hawes district, and on defendant’s (Chapman’s) farm at Crosby Garrett, near Kirkby Stephen being visited by the police, no less than 112 head of poultry and seven geese had been discovered and the hen in question and one goose were identified as having been stolen. When CHAPMAN was apprehended he said the fowls were his, but that the younger prisoners had brought them to him. On the application of Mr J.W. Teale who defended, the charge agaist the WATSONs was dismissed, but CHAPMAN was fined £2 including costs.

Apr 18 1894
On April 16th, suddenly, John Ascough RODWELL at West Witton in his 61st year.

Oct 27 1894 Northern Echo
John TATE, labourer of Thoralby for being drunk on licensed premises, the George and Dragon Inn, Aysgarth on the 5th ist was fined 5s and costs – Richard HESELTINE, landlord of the George and Dragon Inn, Aysgarth, was charged with permitting drunkenness. The evidence of Acting Sergt DEIGHTON and P.C. LONG was to the effect that about 8.30pm they visited the house and found TATE and others very drunk. When spoken to the landlord replied, “I know my own business”. On paying a second visit at 9.30pm they found Tate was still in the house drunk with a glass of beer in front of him. TATE was so drunk that he had to be assisted out of the house. The Bench imposed a fine of £2 and ordered him to pay 8s 6d costs – William CHAPLEO, auctioneer Leyburn, for selling publicly by auction a pig in direct contravention of the Markets and Fairs Orders relating to swine fever, and without first obtaining a licence from the local authority at Middleham on the 17th inst was fined £1 including costs

1894 click for larger imageAskrigg sketch (click for larger image) click for larger imageAysgarth

June 1, 1895
On Friday Thomas ASHTON, farm labourer was fined £1 and costs, or fourteen days, for assaulting Mary A. ASHTON at Bainbridge on the 30th March. Mrs. ASHTON said that her husband came home drunk and struck her several times – Thomas ATKINSON, farmer, Shaw’s Lunns, High Abbotside, was fined 10s and costs for a breach of Abbotside Common bye-laws on the 4th December last by disturbing the sheep before a quarter to nine o’clock.
John Robert WARD, farmer, Thornton Steward, for being drunk in charge of a horse and cart at Leyburn on the 11th ult was fined £1 including costs
Forester MASTERMAN, aged twelve, charged Thomas PARKER, schoolmaster, with assaulting him at Middleham on the 16th May. The lad said defendant thrashed him on May 16th once on his hands for not doing his night lessons, and he was severely thrashed other six times, and had to go to bed when he got home. The case was dismissed.
John LAMBERT was fined 10s including costs, for allowing a horse to stray at Askrigg on May 19th, while Chas. THOMPSON, butcher, Aysgarth, ws also fined 10s for allowing his horse to stray at Aysgarth.

Ernest BURTON, joiner, Askrigg was fined 10s including costs, and George HUNTER of Hunton 10s including costs, for obstructing the highway at Aysgarth with timber on April 27th.

July 27 1895
On Friday John CARLTON, platelayer, was charged with assaulting Simon FOTHERGILL, labourer at Moorcock on the 16th of June. The Bench after hearing the evidence, dismissed the case.
Thos ROONEY labourer, for being drunk and disorderly at Hawes on the 16th inst was fined 10s including costs.
James TERRY, farmer (no appearance) for being drunk at Askrigg on the 1st inst was fined £1 and costs or twenty eight days.
Jeffrey HESELTINE pleaded guilty to being drunk at Leyburn on the 5th inst, and was fined 10s including costs. He said he had got fresh on teetotal stuff (Laughter)
James CRADDOCK of West Witton, pleaded guilty to being drunk in charge of a horse and trap on Sunday, the 23rd of June. Fined £1 inclusive.

William HANDLEY of Askrigg, for hawking without a licence at Thornton Rust on the 4th inst ws fined 10s and costs or in default fourteen days

7 Jul 1895
On Tuesday at Bedale, a cattle dealer named James TAIT, of Marsett near Hawes, who was represented by Mr. C. HORNER, was charged with travelling from Bedale to Leyburn on the 4th of June without having previously paid his fare, with intent to defraud the North-Eastern Railway. Supt. DOBIE at the N.E.R. Police, from York, appeared to prosecute, and said that in consequence of suspicion defendant was watched, and he was seen deliberately to commit the crime. He called two of the company's servants, and after hearing the evidence the Bench imposed a fine of £1 including costs.

6 Mar 1896
We regret exceedingly to announce the death of Major Simon Thomas SCROPE J.P, of Danby Hall, Wensleydale, which sad event occurred shortly before seven o'clock on Wednesday evening. The deceased gentleman, who was in his 74th year, has been in failing health for over a twelvemonth, but it was not until a week ago that he became serously ill with a severe internal complaint. His medical attendant, Dr. John COCKCROFT, of Middleham, thought it necessary to call in the services of a physician; and Dr. Teale, of Leeds, and he held a consultation last Monday, after which they performed an operation. This however, was only partially successful, and a second operation was found necessary on Wednesday which was performed in the prescence of Drs. Teale and Hartley, of Leeds, and Dr. Cockcroft of Middleham. It was thought by the medical gentlemen that if he could maintain his strength he would recover, but shortly after the conclusion of the operation his strength gave out and he sank peacefully to rest. The deceased gentleman was educated at Stonyhurst Jesuit College in Lincolnshire (should be Lancs). In 1855 he married a Miss BERKELEY of Spetchley, in Worcestershire, who survives him, together with five sons and five daughters. For some time after his marriage he resided in the vicinity of Malvern, but on the death of his father he succeeded to the Scrope estates and came to live at Danby Hall in 1872. Ever since he has lived the quiet life of a country gentleman, beloved and respected by everyone with whom he came in contact. His charity was unbounded, and no one was ever turned away empty from his door, while his charity to the poor of the district was dispensed lavishly, though quietly. He was an ardent all-round sportsman...............[ ]...............captain of the Leyburn Rifles....major 1st Volunteer Battalion Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment......deputy lieutenant of the North Riding.
Deceased was a devout Catholic. The funeral of the deceased has been fixed to take place in the family vault at Ulshaw Bridge on Saturday next.

Apr 25 1896
On Friday a retired gentleman named Wm Matthew WHITELOCK, of Aiskew, was charge with being drunk on the highway at East Witton on 23rd March. Defendant who did not appear, was found, together with another man, lying on the roadside near Ulsher Briedge, having been thrown out of a trap and injured. Evidence was given by Fred CROW, farmer of Ulsher Bridge, and Sergt DANIELS gave evidence. He was fined 30s including costs

May 13 1896
At Bedale on Tuesday morning the body of Jane FLETCHER aged 48, wife of a West Witton shoemaker, was discovered drowned in a well containing 2ft 6 in of water in the garden of Mrs BARRASS her sister, whom she was visiting for the good of her health. Deceased must have held her face in the water until she was suffocated.

June 20, 1896
The late Major Simon Thomas SCROPE, of Danby upon Yore, Bedale, made his will in the following terms “In the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen. Being in good health, for which blessing I think Almighty God from the bottom of my heart, and for many other great and manifold blessings, I make this my last will and testament on this the 27th of August 1882, my sixtieth  birthday. I wish to be buried as quietly as may be by the side of my dear father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and many other relations, on whose souls may God have mercy. I wish no hearse or hatbands, or such follies, to be used at my funeral. I leave £1,000 to my wife and everything else that I possess I leave to my eldest son, Simon Conyers SCROPE, begging of him and trusting in him to be kind to and to help his mother to see to the interests and well-being of his younger brothers and sisters.” The personal estate has been valued at £4,591 19s 3d

Jun 24 1899
On Friday, a farm girl named Nellie BAVIN was sent to prison for a month without hard labour for stealing 4s 111/2d and wearing apparel, the property of her employer, Ralph DAYKIN, Ballowfield



3 Sep 1900
On Thursday night Dr. J.S. WALTON, coroner, held an inquest at Mr. J. STOREY's White Swan Hotel, Middleham, on view of the body of Frederick MILLER, aged 23, son of Mr. J.E. MILLER, who died on Wednesday last. It appears that on Monday, August 27th, about 9.30pm, deceased along with a companion named Lewis PRATT were returning from West Witton feast on their bicycles. Whilst riding between Wensley and Middleham Bridge deceased was suddenly thrown from his machine, and sustained such internal injuries that he gradually sank, despite the best medical advice which could be obtained, and died on Wednesday last. The jury, who expressed their sympathy with the parents of the deceased, returned a verdict that deceased died from rupture of the bowels from an accident.

Nov 3 1900
On Thursday night Mr. Jno PEACOCK of Mount Park near West Witton, expired at his residence, after some months’ illness. Deceased came from Hawksley not long ago and he belonged to Merrick. He was a Wesleyan greatly respected and he leaves a large family of eleven to mourn his loss